Additional information available on the Communication Department website.
Recommended basic skills courses are
- College Reading & Writing Literacy
- College Quantitative Literacy
If you are a person with multiple interests and diverse talents, then Communication may be the major for you! The program of study provides rhetorical and social scientific theory, tools, and techniques for analyzing, managing and improving communication in every arena of professional and personal interaction. Topics within the discipline may include public speaking, interpersonal and group communication, intercultural and organizational communication. The Associate of Arts (AA) degree with designation in Communication includes courses that are common to all four-year institutions in Colorado and will prepare you for continued study at a four-year college/university in pursuit of a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Communication. With a degree in Communication, you have employment opportunity in a variety of fields including: public relations, political science, advertising, social services, journalism, education, film production and criticism, radio/television, event planning, sales, grant or technical writing, customer service, corporate communication, employee training, personal management, entertainment, social media, education and foreign relations.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Communication degree program, students should be able to:
- Develop a central message using the content and supporting materials
- Incorporate language that is appropriate to the audience
- Demonstrate performance skills to share content with a particular audience for a specific occasion and purpose
- Implement an organization pattern that results in a cohesive presentation
- Employ language that enhances the presentation
- Make reference to and connect information through analysis that supports the presentation while establishing the presenter's credibility/authority on the topic
- Incorporate a variety of types of supporting material
- Manage visual aids with appropriate technology
Full list of requirements can be found at Associate of Arts Degrees, AA .