More information available on the Building and Construction Technology website.
This Plumbing Fundamentals Certificate introduces the NCCER Plumbing level one and level two fundamentals of plumbing trades and practices in residential application to include common types of piping, their proper fitting, fixtures, distribution systems, construction drawings; plastic, copper, cast-iron, and carbon steel piping; fixtures and faucets; introduction to Drainage, Waste, and Vent (DWV) systems; and water distribution systems. Additional focus on offsets around obstructions, reading commercial drawings, installing and testing Drainage, Waste, and Vent (DWV) piping systems, installing roof, floor and area drains, servicing various types of valves, installation of fixtures, faucets, hot water systems and a discussion on fuel systems.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Plumbing Fundamentals certificate program, students should be able to:
- Interpret construction documents using industry standards in the plumbing trades
- Research, interpret, and apply appropriate building and structural codes in plumbing applications
- Explain the fundamentals of the plumbing trades (e.g., site safety, hand and power tools, measurements drawings, materials, drainage, and water distribution systems)
- Estimate the materials and labor for a residential plumbing project
- Explain and perform plumbing skill techniques required for certification in NCCER Plumbing Level I (e.g., piping, drainage, fixture installation) and Level II (e.g., installing hot water systems, servicing valves)