Additional information available on the History Department website.
Recommended basic skills courses are
Historians study the past (as it is described in written documents) in order to provide insight to the present. As a student in History you will learn writing and communication skills, methods to analyze source materials, research, how to utilize digital collections and learn how to clearly present evidence. The Associate of Arts (AA) degree with designation in History includes courses that are common to all four-year institutions in Colorado and will prepare you for continued study at a four-year college/university in pursuit of a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in History. With a degree in History you may be employed in one of the following career areas: public service, law, research, politics, publishing, historical site interpretation, archival records collection analysis, historical consulting for public/private business, library management, marketing, media or education.
Students may follow the degree with designation in History or transfer guide in History to a particular four-year college/university. Consult your Faculty Advisor to assist you in determining the best pathway for you.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the History program, students should be able to:
- Identify trends, events, peoples, groups, cultures, and institutions covered
- Construct historical narratives by identifying patterns of continuity and change
- Analyze secondary sources and recognize differences in historical interpretation
- Identify and evaluate the perspective of primary sources
- Use library sources for historical research
- Select and apply contemporary forms of technology to solve problems or compile information
- Be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing
Content criteria, competencies, and student learning outcomes associated with the general education courses required for this degree can be found on the Colorado Department of Higher Education website.
Full list of requirements can be found at Associate of Arts Degrees, AA .