The Associate of Arts Degrees and Course of Study are designed for students who want a traditional liberal arts education and who intend to transfer to a four-year college or university. They provide a basis of study in the areas of arts and humanities, communication, or social sciences.
Pikes Peak Community College partners with other Colorado community colleges and four-year universities to guarantee transfer of the Associate of Arts degrees and Course of Study. Adherence to the Colorado Community College System 60+60 Bachelor’s Transfer Program guarantees that at least 60 hours will transfer completely, upon admission, to a Bachelor of Arts major in Colorado’s public four-year institutions, where students are guaranteed to be able to finish the Bachelor of Arts degree with an additional 60 credit hours of study. Receiving institutions will accept all applicable credits earned within ten years of transfer to the receiving institution. Credits earned over ten years will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis.
In addition to the Course of Study, Pikes Peak Community College participates in a statewide articulation agreement for the guaranteed transfer of an Associate of Art in Business, Elementary Teacher Education, and Early Childhood Teacher Education. Students should review the degree requirements of the four-year university of interest and work with their PPCC faculty advisor to ensure a smooth transfer.
To earn an Associate of Arts Degree, students must complete Colorado Community College System 60+60 Bachelor’s Transfer Program outlined below. The course requirements total 60 semester credit hours, at least 35 of which must be Colorado State-Guaranteed Courses, and students must earn a C or better in each class.
Courses marked with an asterisk [*] are not currently offered at PPCC.
Content criteria, competencies, and student learning outcomes associated with the general education courses required for this degree can be found on the Colorado Department of Higher Education website.
Twenty-three (23) credit hours selected from the AA approved course list.
Approved Electives Course List of AA Degrees and Course of Study
- A minimum of 60 credit hours in a prescribed program of study with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (a C average). At least 15 of these credit hours must be earned from PPCC.
- Only six (6) elective credits are allowed in any combination of PED courses.
- Students may concentrate their study in a specialized area such as communication, journalism, or political science.
- Career and technical education courses, whether taken at another institution or at PPCC, are not accepted toward this degree without approval of the Vice President for Instructional Services. Approval is given only when it is appropriate to the educational objectives of a student.
- Courses numbered below 100 do not apply toward degrees.
World Language Note: It is advisable to verify the world language admissions requirements for the university/four-year college you are planning to attend. For example, many of the Colorado four-year institutions require world languages for admission; the Colorado State University system requires 2-3 years of high school world language (or equivalent 2-3 semesters at Pikes Peak Community College). Students planning to attend a Colorado four-year institution who do not have the prerequisite world language requirement from high school should consider enrolling in these courses in addition to the degree requirements.