Mar 20, 2023  
2019-2020 Catalog 
2019-2020 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Getting Started

We believe that everyone who is able to successfully complete courses should have a chance to attend college.

Prospective students who are at least 17 years old or have a high school diploma, a GED (High School Equivalency Diploma), or a college degree will, in most cases, be automatically admitted to PPCC.

However, admission to the College does not guarantee admission into a desired program. Some programs are limited to a certain number of students each semester. We have a priority system so that program applicants are selected impartially.

Advising & Testing

Advising & Testing supports student learning by aiding students in deciding what degree or certificate they can pursue to meet their career goals; how to choose courses that provide the shortest path to their chosen goal; and if they are best prepared to start with college level course work. Advising & Testing provides students with information on transferring to 4-year schools; career readiness; faculty advising; and registering for classes. Visit our webpage at or one of our Advising & Testing offices available at all PPCC campuses for any of the following.

  • Career counseling (individual and group) to help with decision-making, goal setting, and choosing a college course of study
  • Career assessments to match personal characteristics with occupational options
  • Explanation of basic skills (placement test) results, and assistance in selecting the correct classes based upon a student’s degree and placement results
  • Information on course sequence and prerequisites
  • Help in adding or dropping classes
  • Assignment of a faculty advisor
  • Assistance with changing a course of study or faculty advisor,
  • Employment services to help students market themselves and find a job,

Class Schedule

Our class schedule is published every semester and is available on the PPCC website at It lists the time and location for each course. Fall and Spring terms are 15 weeks long and may include a finals week in some areas. The summer term is 10 weeks long.

To provide more flexibility, we offer some classes for 5-weeks, 7 ½ weeks, or other scheduling options.

If you are looking for online classes, PPCC eLearning sections offer flexible scheduling options for students. All PPCC online courses will have an “N” in the section number.

Class schedule information may change without notice.

Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent Enrollment (CE) is a program for high school students to earn college credit and seek degrees and certificates. Through CE, high school students may take PPCC courses on the college campus, online, or approved high school locations,


Accelerating Students through Concurrent Enrollment (ASCENT) allows students from participating Colorado school districts and who have successfully completed at least 12 postsecondary credits to receive free tuition for up to 24 college credits toward degrees or certificates. Interested students should contact their high school counselor or High School Programs at 719-502-3111 for more information,

New Students

The first step toward enrollment is to complete the College Opportunity Fund application. This application ensures that resident students receive the State higher education stipend. Failure to register will result in higher tuition costs for the resident student.

The next step is to complete an application for admission. Potential students are encouraged to apply online at Students should apply early to get the best possible start in college.

Readmit Students

Students who have been enrolled at Pikes Peak Community College before but have not attended for three or more semesters, including summer, must re-submit an Application for Admission.

Transfer Students to PPCC

To transfer credits from another college, students must request that an official transcript be sent for evaluation to the Registrar’s Office at PPCC from their prior institution. Request forms are available from the Student Services Centers. (See Academic Standards ).

International (F1) Students

Pikes Peak Community College has a great deal to offer international students! For admissions purposes, PPCC defines an international student as anyone who already possess an F1 Visa or would like to apply for one.

Prospective students may apply to PPCC and then submit the following documents for review:

  1. Proof of English Proficiency. One of the following is needed as evidence of English proficiency:
  • Minimum score of 450 (written test), 45 (Internet based test) on the Test of English as a World Language (TOEFL). PPCC’s institution code for TOEFL is 4291. Students scoring below 550 (written) or 80 (Internet) may attend PPCC but will need to take our ESL placement test when they arrive at PPCC. They should plan on taking one to three semesters of ESL before beginning their program of study. Students scoring at or above 550 (written) or 80 (Internet), may enroll in courses towards their field of study.
  • Minimum score of 5.5 on the International English Language Test System (IELTS). Students scoring below 6.5 may attend PPCC but will need to take our ESL placement test when they arrive at PPCC. They should plan on taking one to three semesters of ESL before beginning their program of study. Students scoring at or above 5.5 may enroll in courses towards their field of study.
  • Transcripts showing graduation from an English language school.
  • If already in the US, passing score on the English as a Second Language (ESL) four part Accuplacer Test, taken on-site at Pikes Peak Community College.
  • Proof of English proficiency is waived if the student graduated from a secondary school (high school) with entirely English instruction.
  1. Proof of Financial Resources
  • International Student Financial Statement (attached)
  • Original supporting bank documents dated within the last three months that show you have sufficient funds for one year of study and living expenses. Documents must be in English, and in U.S. dollars. $30,000 is required for independent students and $15,500 for students receiving room and board support from a sponsor (example – family, friend or organization). If sponsored by an individual or organization, please supply a notarized sponsor letter detailing all support that will be provided. If you will not be living with the sponsor, we will need a bank statement for a minimum of $14,500 (estimate of room and board) from the sponsor. If sponsor will pay all fees, including tuition, their bank statement/s must show $30,000.
  1. Academic Records
  • Official High School transcript, if highest level of education. If not in English, we also need a certified English translation.
  • College transcripts, if applicable. If not in English, we also need a certified English translation. If you wish to have previous college credit applied towards a degree or certificate, an official evaluation of your transcripts must be made by a certified International Transcript Evaluation Service.
  1. Transfer from Another U.S. School
  • If you are already in the United States, attending another college as an F-1 student, and would like to transfer to Pikes Peak Community College, please also provide a statement from the international student advisor at your current school that confirms you are in good status.

An admissions application must be completed by:
Summer Semester – March 15
Fall Semester – June 15
Spring Semester – October 15

All required documents must be submitted by:
Summer Semester – April 1
Fall Semester – July 1
Spring Semester – November 15

If you already have an F1 Visa and would like to transfer to PPCC, it is a much quicker process and predominantly dependent on how long it takes for you to submit all of the required documents. If you are accepted as a student, we would then arrange for your SEVIS record to be transferred from your existing school to PPCC.


After meeting with an advisor and selecting a schedule of classes, the next step is to register. The registration period begins several months before the start of each new semester. Students may register by using the Internet, or on-site at the Centennial, Downtown Studio, or Rampart Range Campuses. The class schedule published each semester includes details about how to register. The schedule also explains how to add, drop, or change classes once enrolled. Note that instructors or other College staff are not responsible for dropping you from or changing registration in your classes. A helpful registration guide is available.

Satisfying College Course Placement Requirements

The College assists students with course and educational planning decisions through any of the Advising & Testing centers.

To enroll in college-level coursework, students must demonstrate college readiness. College readiness may be satisfied by meeting any of the following requirements:

  • Completed the ACT or SAT tests within the past five years with qualifying scores. Please see for list of qualifying scores;
  • Graduated from high school within the last 2 years;
    • For English: completed Junior year English with a “B” or better both semesters
    • For College Algebra: completed high school Pre-Calculus or higher with a “B” or better within the last 18 months
    • For MAT 103 , MAT 107  course requirements:  completed high school Algebra I with a “B” or better both semesters within the last 18 months
    • For MAT 112 , MAT 120 , MAT 135 , MAT 155 , MAT 156  course requirements: completed high school Algebra II with a “B” or better both semesters
  • Have an earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited college or university;
  • Have earned a transfer-oriented associate degree (Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) from a regionally-accredited college or university. Excludes Associate of General Studies (AGS) or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees;
  • Have completed a college-level English and/or Mathematics course with a “C” or higher from a regionally-accredited College or University (within the last 15 years);
  • Have successfully completed necessary remedial courses in English and/or Mathematics at another Colorado Community College.

If you meet one or more of the requirements above, please bring your supporting documentation (unofficial transcripts are okay for this purpose) into an Advising & Testing center at any campus. You may also scan and email them to or upload through this form To officially transfer your prior college credits to PPCC, you will also need to submit official transcripts to the PPCC Records department.

Students may choose to enroll in college-preparatory coursework if they cannot demonstrate college-readiness. Advising & Testing can recommend the college-preparatory coursework for your degree or certificate program.

Students who wish to enroll in college-level coursework without evidence of college-readiness may take a placement test in any of our Advising & Testing centers. For information on how to complete placement testing:

All new students entering the English as a Second Language (ESL) must take a placement test. This test will place new students into one of three levels; basic, intermediate, or advanced. The test is available by computer at all campuses. ESL students should call 719-502-3535 for further information.

Accommodations are available for students with documented disabilities. Contact Accessibility Services to make arrangements for accommodated placement testing. 719-502-3333.

You must present a valid photo ID to test. All testing stops fifteen minutes prior to closing time.

For Information about all testing services and hours of operation: Centennial Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3370; Rampart Range Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3380; or Downtown Studio Campus Testing Center, 719-502-3390.

Active duty military may take placement tests at Ft. Carson, Bldg. 1012 and Peterson AFB, Bldg. 1141. An appointment is not necessary.