- Military and Veteran Students
- Active Duty and Family Members / Guard and Reserve
- Veterans / GI Bill® Benefit Users
- Veterans Upward Bound
Military and Veteran Students
Fort Carson Education Center•Building 1012•Room 244•719-502-4200
Peterson AFB Education Center•Building 1141 •Room 112•719-502-4300
Shriver and USAFA•contact our Peterson AFB office to schedule an appointment on site
PPCC's Department of Military and Veterans Programs is here to serve our active duty, veterans, and family members in supporting your educational goals. We recognize that unlike traditional students your military commitments and educational benefits can create extra challenges for you to navigate while pursuing your education. Pikes Peak Community College is a proud participant in the Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding, approved for veteran benefits, as well as being recognized as both Military Friendly and Best for Vets. We are passionate about providing resources and services designed to foster student success. Our staff members are active in both state and national organizations committed to providing best practices for military and veteran students.
For all military and veteran students:
- Resources for educational and community support while attending college
- Programming and activities
- Networking opportunities
- Academic Advisors that understand the requirements of your military education funding.
- Military and Veterans Programs staff can assist mitigating conflicts due to military duty.
- Active Duty and or veterans who indicate their military status on the PPCC application will receive Resident Tuition rates based upon their response. Eligible family members or those who did not select yes to military veteran status on their application can submit an application for instate tuition classification at https://www.ppcc.edu/military/instate-tuition.
Active Duty and family members /Guard and Reserve:
For your convenience we have college offices located at both Fort Carson and Peterson AFB Education Centers, providing you an all but one-stop shop to get started at PPCC. USAFA is by appointment only.
- Application, Advising, Placement Testing, Registration, Residency (In State Tuition), and other college services
- Military Residency for Instate Rates
- Tuition Assistance-- GoArmyEd, Air Force Portal, and other branches of service TA
- Colorado National Guard Tuition Assistance
- MyCAA—My Career Advancement Account funding for eligible spouses
- CLEP and DSST Testing
- Joint Service Transcript Evaluation (active duty)—Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
- Student Agreement/Evaluated Degree Plan preparation
- On post, on base General Education classes offered in shorter terms and/or hybrid formats to meet your scheduling demands; no student or course fees for on post/base classes.
- Liaison with instructional divisions if experiencing a military related conflict
Getting Started using your Tuition Assistance:
- Visit or contact your Branch of Service Education Center to attend mandatory briefings and activate your Tuition Assistance Account
- Stop by our office on post/base to become a PPCC student
- Register for PPCC classes
- Visit the TRIO office on Fort Carson for help filling out your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by folks who are experts on military income. Required for PELL Grants and other Financial Aid.
- Request Tuition Assistance—Note at this time Tuition Assistance covers the tuition cost per credit hour, but does not cover any mandatory fees or textbooks.
Veterans / GI Bill® Benefit Users
Rampart Range Campus•S102•719-502-4500
Limited Staff availability at Fort Carson and Peterson
Veteran/GI Bill® Benefit User Orientation
All students intending to use their GI Bill® benefits must attend an orientation session that addresses how to maximize their benefits, what is funded, what is not funded, and the steps required to use their benefits at PPCC. Additionally, the orientation will provide campus and community resources for veterans and their dependents to support a successful academic experience. Failing to attend orientation will delay certification. Orientation schedules and registration is available on our website at ppcc.edu/military/orientation.
- Assistance with applying for benefits
- School Certifying Officials (PPCC employees who are your liaison to the Veterans Administration)
- Academic Advising specifically addressing GI Bill® requirements
- Peer Mentoring
- Veteran Organizations
- Textbook Lending Library
- Veterans Upward Bound/TRIO Support
- Transition Support—Veteran Success Coordinator
- Programming, activities, and networking opportunities
- Veterans Upward Bound—academic prep and college support
- VA Work Study employment opportunities
Getting Started Using your GI Bill®
- Apply for your GI Bill® Benefits
- Attend an orientation for GI Bill® users
- Apply to PPCC and follow checklist for new students
Get Chapter Specific Checklist at ppcc.edu/military/va
- Request Certification
- Enroll in classes
- Monitor your student email for School Certifying Official Communication
Veterans Upward Bound
Veteran/GI Bill® Benefit User Orientation
The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) program offers free classes and advising to qualified veterans and active duty military members. The classes offered are English, math, Spanish, basic science, computer skills and career counseling. All class materials are provided by VUB.
VUB staff members are VA certifying officials and provide assistance for financial aid, scholarships, and admission applications. Emphasis is on low-income and first-generation students.
Courses do not count for college credit but prepare the student for college. The free English and math classes can be taken in lieu of remedial classes at PPCC to assist students in their basic skills. Classes may be repeated as often as needed.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.